BobMan's Hair Transplant Story

Hair Transplant Blog

Friday, October 01, 2004

My Hair Loss Story

Hair Loss Begins



I started going bald at the age of 23. Before that, I had a very full head of hair. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I’d go bald in my twenties. I mean, I ate right…exercises…took my vitamins…What the Hell!



When I would go out to the clubs, something I was having fun doing since I turned 18, it was an ego booster to get the compliments on how “good” you looked. And make no mistake about it…the hair helped….me at least. As time went on, I started to look like the old guy at the club…and thank God because had I not started to go bald…I’d probably still be a professional clubber. Everything happens for a reason, right.



Hair Pieces...NOT The Hair Loss Solution



Ok…now fast forward a couple of years at age 25. Very thin on top…growing it long and slicking it all back. I didn’t like that I was gonna be the bald guy in the pictures at my own wedding, so I went out and joined the “hairpiece” club. Of course, it was better than what I had and at the time, and my main goal was to look good for my wedding.



I wore the thing for six years, off and on. Even though the hairpieces looked Ok….they never really made me feel fully secure. No matter how anyone tries to justify them, they’re just a form fitted hat with hair. A separate part of you…like a shirt or a pair of pants…then after a very short while, they start to get worn out. Needless to say, they weren’t cheap and maintenance wasn’t either. I started to feel lousy again…but stifled my pain by eating. I found myself eating all the time and ballooning up to 220lbs.



Fa(s)t Forward - Fat and Bald



Now here I am at 30 something….fat and bald. When I took a good look at myself in the mirror and found myself starting the need to squeeze into size 40 waist jeans…I thought to myself…”this is bullshit”. I may not be able to do anything about being bald, (so I thought at the time) but I sure as hell can do SOMETHING, ANYTHING about all this fat! So, I did. Went to GNC, bought some vitamins, cut out as much carbs as I could…and being Italian, that’s not so easy. Started riding the stationary bike about 10-20 minutes three to four times a week, and about 8 months or so later of consistent action, I was down to a lean 179lbs. I was skinny again….Whoo Hoo! Clothes fit better, I felt fit again….great.



The Right Hair Restoration Surgeon



Now fast forward a couple more years and I’m 35. The infomercials for MHR and Bosely are all over the TV lately. So, I decided to call and get the “FREE” information kit to see what this is all about. I decided, dammit I’m gonna go for it. And decided on MHR. But didn’t really know what the hell I needed. Heck, I didn’t even know why I picked them other than their commercials looked well. Then I got a “holy shit” idea and started to look on the internet. Somehow I found Hasson & Wong and called their number. Now, mind you I’m also chatting with MHR, Bosley, and Brandy MD and so on. I was on a mission to find THE BEST.



Finding Hasson & Wong



I’m at home, and going through some rough times with my wife at the time. But I got the call and was “able to talk” that day. Doug from Hasson & Wong was on the line and was very nice in answering all of my questions. But, he also knew I was VERY hesitant about actually “taking the plunge” with anyone. So a shorter time later, I get a call from Mike Ferko. Right away I knew he wasn’t trying to “sell” me, but rather educate me to what is out there, how it all works and what I should expect from a clinic.



The Best Hair Transplant Surgeons in the World (period!)



Now I’m becoming astute to the hair transplants industry, in the way everyone considering an HT should. Then I started looking even closer at the consistency of all the hair restoration clinics. Hands down, Hasson & Wong had the best after hair transplant photos I’ve ever seen.

But what separated them for me the most was that they were updated and adding new patient photos all the time. Even better, I got to visit actual hair transplant patient websites and follow their journey AS IT WAS HAPPENING to boot! I was hooked. No other clinic was doing what they were, with the amount of grafts and patient output. It was prevalent that Dr.Hasson and Dr.Wong were serious about patient results and pioneering a new precedence in the hair transplant industry. In short, I knew I had found two of THE BEST surgeons in the world. (period)



After some time of doing all that, I called Mike back and scheduled my first hair transplant for September of ’04. Just after that, my wife of 11 years decides to move out. After trying to reconcile about four weeks later I come to find information that lead me to file for divorce…that very day I also called Mike Ferko and basically cancelled my surgery. Then, thought about it for about an hour or so and figured, “screw that!” I’m not gonna let her keep me down anymore! So, I called Mike back and told him my thoughts. He was and still is so easy to talk to, that I knew I had made the right decision to go forward.



I had made my decision and planned out my plan of attack. My ex never knew what I was planning…and I’m sure if she did, she would have made me feel wrong in some way for trying to do it. Looking back, I can honestly say…my success in this matter was and still is and will remain bitter sweet revenge.



My First Hair Transplant Megasession



So my plan was to do as large of a session, a megasession, as we could and go from front to back. I had normal elasticity, great donor hair and a blank canvas for my doctor to “paint on”. The only thing I was nervous about when I met Dr.Hasson for the first time was if he would be able to make my hairline look natural and fit me. After about five or so minutes of Dr.Hasson drawing, then erasing, then drawing and erasing over and over, all the time squinting with one eye making sure he had it just right. He showed me the mirror and my worries were over. He nailed it. After that I just enjoyed the ride.



The first time we got 4,849 grafts. We covered the front and mid part of my scalp on top. As that grew in I started to feel alive again. Every month, the metamorphosis started to take place and at around month 5 and 6…I had a full (frontal) head of hair. Everyone started telling me how young I looked. And to be honest, I didn’t mind that I had a bald spot because the second part of my plan was to return in 9 months and address the crown.



My Second HT - Restoring The Crown



In June of 2005, we did just that. We harvested 2,955 grafts and packed them all in the crown area. It was quite a large gap to fill….but the end results turned out fantastic.



Now, having my head of hair back had given me an sense of confidence that is immeasurable in words. I honestly feel as if I’ve been given back 10 or 15 years of my life. Kind of a “do-over” if you will.



How Do I Feel About My Hair Transplant Experience?



Having the transplant with Hasson & Wong was the best move I have ever made in my life. Knowing that I was fortunate to have chosen the best clinic and the premier surgeon, and having the support of their staff and patients before, during and after my hair transplant has been and continues to be a treasured experience that I will forever be grateful for.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home